Making sure you take the time to relax and have fun may help improve your overall health in many ways. Have you found something fun that you enjoy doing? I enjoy blogging! Blogging is a way for me to help others by presenting health tips and healthy recipes. With all the unhealthy foods and drinks bombarding us on a daily basis, it is fun for me to provide a little encouragement to help all of you become a healthier version of yourself. Now, let’s talk way’s that fun can help improve your health.
- Reduced Stress – the stress hormone called Cortisol can spike to unhealthy levels when we remain stressed for long periods of time. Cortisol can cause us to gain weight and hinder our body’s ability to fight off an infection or to heal itself after an injury. So take the time you need to relax and have fun, if you do you will find that your Cortisol levels will decrease, which leads to…
- Increased Serotonin – Serotonin helps regulate our sleep patterns, memory, body temperature, and mood. This means that doing something you enjoy helps naturally regulate your body’s Limbic system and your brain.
- Improved Ability to Cope – While stress is unavoidable, taking time to have fun and relax will help you better deal with the stress when a negative situation arises.
- Boosted Energy – Stress and pain are both physically exhausting so if you make sure to relax and have fun you will start to feel less tired and emotionally drained.
- Improved Memory and Concentration – This is something I struggle with on a daily basis because my job is stressful and emotionally draining on most days. By making sure I take time for myself, whether its a bath in the evening or a run at the gym (both things that I very much enjoy), I am able to decrease my stress and improve my concentration and memory enough to get me through the next work day. Thank goodness we have the weekend so that we can fully recharge to face another week.
- Improved Connection with Others – Forming meaningful relationships with those around you may be something that helps you recharge. I am an introvert so I recharge by having alone time but I also enjoy spending time with family and friends on occasion. No matter if you are an introvert or an extrovert you will find that taking a moment to spend time with friends and family will help decrease stress. This is because you will form a sense of connection, belonging and usefulness.
- Improved Sleep – Laughing, playing, relaxing and participating in your favorite activities can help increase your serotonin levels and as discussed above this may result in improved sleep patterns. Getting a good night sleep is very important to being able to face negative situations with less negative results on your health.
- Increased Positive Thinking – When you are stressed and exhausted it is easy to look at the negatives in life. Doing so will result in increased exhaustion and negative thoughts. If you take the time to relax and have fun two major things will happen, (1) you will have something to look forward to which will improve your mood and increase positive thinking and (2) you will start to look at the positives about the stressful situation without even realizing it.
Altogether we see that taking the time to have fun and relax can result in many positive benefits to your health. What are you going to do to have fun this week?